St George's Church Organ

St George's organ console

The organ in St George's has a special place in the heart of those who know it to listen to or to play. It is a fine instrument worthy of the grand title Mozart once gave the organ, 'The King of Instruments'.

It was originally built and installed in February 1897  by Forster & Andrews of Hull as a large three manual organ of 52 stops. The specification of the organ was provided by Dr John Naylor, Organist of York Minster. The fine casework, which continues to serve as the housing for the organ, was designed by the architect of the church, Austin & Paley of Lancaster, with the console facing the north side of the case.

In 1935 the instrument was rebuilt and enlarged by John Compton Organ Company. The action, originally tubular-pneumatic, was converted to the latest electric action, and a new console was provided with the trademark luminous stop control of Compton's, placed at the east end of the chancel, its present position. A fourth manual was added and the stop list now totalled 107 speaking stops, although several of these were based on the extension principle and borrowed from other ranks.

St George's organ caseApart from some cleaning work and general repairs in 1951, the organ was largely unaltered from the 1935 rebuild. By 1978 it was in desperate need of work, with many parts simply having worn out and the rest showing signs of a busy life. A committee was formed to raise the necessary money and in 1981 the work was undetaken by Rushworth & Dreaper. The specification was returned to that of the Forster & Andrews organ. The console was reconditioned with traditional stopheads and reduced from four to three manuals. The original ranks of pipes from the Forster & Andrews organ were in fine condition and only needed cleaning in order to return them to their full glory. Following a service of rededication on the 1st May 1981, the Inaugural Recital was given by Dr George Thalben-Ball, CBE on Tuesday 12th May 1981.

Click here to view or download the current specification.

The organ continues to play an important part in the life of St George's, leading the worship and accompanying the numerous choirs and groups that come to perform and play in the church. However, its age is showing and once again plans are forming for the next stage in the life of this magnificent instrument. An organ restoration fund has been established in support of our organ.

Organists of St George's

1897-1908

Herbert Wild, FRCO

1908-1945

Harold Dawber, Hon.FRMCM, FRCO

1945-1951

Laurence West, DMus, FRCO, LRAM

1951-1956

Harold Dawber, Hon.FRMCM, FRCO

1956-1976

Arthur Rooke, FRCO, LRAM

1976-1997

Michael English, FRCO(CHM), ADCM, LRAM, ARCM, LTCL

1997-1998

Andrew Dean

1998-2001

Roger Briscoe

2001-2006

David Scott-Thomas

2007-2008

Philip Asher, BMus(Hons)/GradRNCM, PGCE, ARCO

2008-

John Horton, BA (Hons), PGCE